Partner with Nature Museum educators and scientists to incorporate real world science, authentic learning opportunities and unique resources into your classroom instruction.
Teachers in grades 1-4 are invited to join the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum’s Science Teaching Network, a grant-funded teacher professional development program focused on best practices in science instruction, the Next Generation Science Standards, and local nature and science topics.
“Before STN, I was unsure how to teach science. Now, I feel more comfortable and know what to do and how to start. Before I was lost.” -STN participant
Professional Development Program Highlights:
- Attend the Summer Institute (3 ½ days) at the Nature Museum to explore an NGSS-aligned curriculum and make connections to local ecosystems
- Receive a NGSS aligned nine lesson unit with all curriculum and implementation materials
- Take a free field trip to the Nature Museum and receive a full bus reimbursement
- Observe one Nature Museum educator-taught lesson in your classroom
- Participate in 3 Saturday PD workshops to support curriculum implementation, reflection on science teaching practices, and teacher collaboration
- Earn a stipend of up to $200 and 36 professional development clock hours
“The workshops allowed me to hear what works and does not in other classrooms. Sharing ideas amongst peers is the best resource.” -STN participant
“I love the expert lectures by the Museum scientists. They give the teachers the background information in order to better teach the units that we will be presenting to our students. Very, very knowledgeable staff.” -STN participant
“Now, my students are excited for science and it’s like the gem for them. When I’m excited about something, they get amped up about it.” -STN participant
“All the [STN lessons] were hands-on, engaging, and interactive. My kids have loved them all!” -STN participant
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest. The application period for 2018 has ended. Summer 2019's application period will open in May 2019.
To receive updates about the Science Teaching Network and other education programs as they're made available, click the button below to subscribe to the Nature Museum Education Bulletin.
Looking for Nature Museum offerings during the school year or outside of this grade band? Check out our Science on the Go program for grades K-8 to bring new curriculum units and materials, hands-on science teaching, and museum educators to your classroom by clicking here.
If you have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com.