Volunteers are vital to our mission of creating positive relationships between people and nature.
They work throughout the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum to take care of our critters, engage our visitors throughout our exhibits, preserve our historic collections, and so much more.
Regardless of their role, all Nature Museum volunteers must have:
- A commitment to our mission
- A genuine passion for nature and science
- A friendly personality and positive attitude
- An active email address that is checked frequently
Thank you for your interest in volunteer opportunities at the Nature Museum. We invest a lot of time in bringing new volunteers on board and finding the right fit for their interests, talents, and schedules. Please know that it may take up to two months to become an official Nature Museum volunteer. If you have an urgent need for service hours, we encourage you to seek out other opportunities.
Browse current volunteer opportunities below. If you would like to volunteer with us, but do not see a position that fits your experience or interest, please check back at a future date.
Museum Host Volunteer
Host Volunteers provide meaningful assistance and support to museum guests of all ages. They provide wayfinding assistance throughout the museum, highlight daily programs and upcoming events, and help to answer questions from guests. Host Volunteers provide invaluable support by acting as a conduit between museum guests and museum staff and volunteers.
- Must be comfortable engaging with young children and adults in a friendly manner
- Willingness to become familiar with the nature museum and its upcoming events and programs
Typical Daily Checklist:
- Welcome museum guests into exhibit spaces
- Help guide guests to areas of interest
- Provide wayfinding support when needed
- Highlight / encourage guests to attend daily programs
- Inform the Guest Experience staff of any issues that arise
Supervision: Host volunteers will be supervised by the Guest Experience and Engagement Coordinator, who will provide training, daily tasks, and schedules.
Time Commitment: Host volunteer shifts are typically 3 hours, from 10am to 1pm. However, the length and time of the shift can be flexible depending on the volunteer’s availability. Volunteers can commit to volunteering weekly, biweekly, or monthly.