Teenagers Exploring and Explaining Nature and Science
Explore nature in the city, participate in hands-on scientific investigations, and learn about career paths in ecology, environmental science, and conservation! Participants in the Teenagers Exploring and Explaining Nature and Science (TEENS) program conduct scientific investigations to learn more about the nature and environment found in Chicago parks, neighborhoods, and natural areas. Teens contribute data to existing local, regional and global research projects and work in teams to develop their own research questions to investigate. Teens gain experience with a wide range of ecological and environmental science field and laboratory methods, design data collection protocols and shareable mobile data collection forms, collect data for their projects, and contribute to peers’ projects. Using web-based apps, teens analyze data and create media-rich digital maps and other data visualizations that are posted on teen-created project websites. Earn up to $725 for your participation!
The Nature Museum will be offering two program options this summer: a morning program and an afternoon program.
- July 6-August 12, 2021
- Monday-Thursday, 9am-12pm (in-person)
- July 6-August 12, 2021
- Monday-Thursday, 1pm-4pm (in-person)
- Able to attend all program dates
- Age 14-19
- Chicago high school student (including rising freshman and graduating seniors)
- Chicago resident
- Explore nature in the city and participate in real-world scientific investigations
- Learn about college and career paths in environmental science, ecology, and conservation
- Investigate Chicago’s connections with global conservation issues
- Develop lasting friendships and network with other teenagers from across the city
How to Apply
Apply online at afterschoolmatters.org/teens/apply. Search by program name “Teenagers Exploring and Explaining Nature and Science”. Apply to your preferred program time (AM program or PM program). During the interview process, you will have the opportunity to indicate if you would like to be considered for the AM program, PM program, or both.
For More Information
Email email@example.com with questions specific to the Nature Museum TEENS program. For inquiries related to the teen application through After School Matters please call 312-742-4182 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TEENS is generously supported by After School Matters, US Forest Service-International Programs, and The Chicago Learning Exchange (CLX)