Teenagers Exploring and Explaining Nature and Science
Explore nature in the city, participate in hands-on scientific investigations, and learn about career paths in ecology, environmental science, and conservation! Participants in the Teenagers Exploring and Explaining Nature and Science (TEENS) program conduct urban ecology and environmental science investigations, study the nature found in our city’s parks, neighborhoods, and forest preserves, and participate in habitat restoration and other ecological stewardship activities. Teens contribute data to existing local, regional and global research projects and work in teams to develop their own research questions to investigate. Program participants learn how to use mobile devices to collect data in the field and create digital maps and other data visualizations. Earn up to $425 for your participation!
Note: This is an in-person program that meets at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. Compliance with the Nature Museum’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is required to participate in this program.
Fall Program Meeting Dates/Times
- Wednesdays, 4:45pm – 6:45pm
- Saturdays, 9:00am – 2:00pm
- October 2, 2021 – December 11, 2021
- Program does not meet on 11/24 and 11/27
- Must be able to attend all program dates
- Age 14-19
- Chicago high school student
- Chicago resident
- Compliance with the Nature Museum’s COVID-19 vaccination policy
- Explore nature in the city and participate in real-world scientific investigations
- Learn about college and career paths in environmental science, ecology, and conservation
- Investigate Chicago’s connections with global conservation issues
- Develop lasting friendships and network with other teenagers from across the city
How to Apply
Go to afterschoolmatters.org/teens/apply/ and search for program name “Teenagers Exploring and Explaining Nature and Science”.
For More Information
Email email@example.com with questions specific to the Nature Museum TEENS program. For inquiries related to the teen application through After School Matters please call 312-742-4182 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TEENS is generously supported by After School Matters, US Forest Service-International Programs, and The Chicago Learning Exchange (CLX)