Behind the Scenes
- Animal Care – care for our snakes, turtles, amphibians, and invertebrates. Assist biology staff in preparing food, feeding, and cleaning the habitat spaces for our live animals.
- Bird and Amphibian Care – care for our birds in the Butterfly Haven, as well as our amphibians and invertebrates in the biology lab. This role includes preparing food for our free flying birds, and cleaning habitat space for our amphibians and invertebrates.
- Turtle Walking (seasonal) – bring our box turtles out to the park for enrichment.
- Butterfly Lab – process chrysalis shipments, prepare live butterflies to be released, and clean pupae cases.
- Horticulture – assist horticulture staff in maintaining our outdoor prairie and butterfly gardens (seasonal). Help keep our Butterfly Haven tropical plants well watered and pruned.
- Collections – assist collections staff in various projects concerning the Chicago Academy of Sciences’ collection dating back to the early 1800’s.
- Specimen Preparation – prepare specimens (mostly birds and small mammals) for study and preservation, to be added to our collections. Occasionally engage with guests in light interpretation as they are present.
- Public Interpretive Program – assist our museum facilitators in leading daily programs for our guests. Learn our museum interpretation philosophy and how to facilitate for diverse audiences.
- Host – welcome guests as they explore the museum. Offer wayfinding assistance and answer general questions.
- Special Events – assist event staff in executing special family events. This includes checking tickets, providing assistance at information tables, and sometimes facilitating an activity or interpretation table.